Wednesday 25 July 2012

A weekend at Gatton

 
In early July I took a drive down to Clifton to meet my friend Larissa. We had decided some weeks ago that we would meet and venture into the landscape in her camper. An experienced countryside traveller, Larissa has given me even more inspiration to explore with canvas and paint.

When we travel through this country, (I’m usually the passenger, which is nice), I’m planning in my mind to stop here and there to take photos, and to paint ‘en plein air’ the many varieties of gums alongside the road at Gatton, and this weekend was intended to be only a taste of what is to come. Aside from the many photos I now have for future works, I took home with me a sweet reminder of how inspiring the Australian landscape is.

Some of you are aware that I have been planning for at least a couple of years, to take a journey across Australia; my vehicle of choice either a DR 450 or an XT. This is still at least a year away as I need to get the money together to first buy a bike and to kit it up, so that I can take my art materials and the basics I need to be comfortable on my journey (the bare essentials). I imagine the first part of my journey will entail a trek around Queensland, just to get into the swing of things. And I’m sure that I’ll need to request the assistance of some knowledgeable others to show me how to keep a motorcycle in top form when I’m out on the road (nudge nudge wink wink)... In the meanwhile, let me share my weekend at Gatton with you.

Some of the photos I took reminded me of when my partner and I rode down to Sydney and back to Brisbane in 2010. This is really when I first had a real sense of how I might undertake my journey and of what images I’d like to create. 


Our first stop for the weekend was Queen Mary Falls Circuit. The glowing trees reminded me of Hans Heysen’s work, particularly Mystic Morn, however it was afternoon and it was just starting to drizzle.
'Twas a mystic drizzling afternoon.

 
Keeping the camera dry was a task itself, however I made it my mission to capture the afternoon sunlight through the fine rain past the trees. I'm very inspired to paint at this point. As I was walking I was devising a way to paint in this climate. A large umbrella and a flask of hot sweet billy tea I'm sure would get me through.


And as we move on, it gets colder and wetter. If you ever go these falls, I recommend you spend time at the bottom. Such an incredible feeling. The force of the water pushing the air against your face is really amazing. On a hot summers' day I'd really like to get closer to the water.

 
That night I had the pleasure of fire duty, all to myself. Thanks to the teachings of my beloved, I can keep a fire going all night. It was Larissa's duty to keep the fire warm with tea lights. ?


And for breakfast I was spoilt with hot porridge, muesli on top with apple.



Lunch time special. We had moved camp, closer to the river, thanks to a French couple who had also generously donated their firewood to us. Following the success of our roast pumpkin dinner the night before (which was a delicious compromise after a long and unsuccessful mission to find spuds on the roadside), we had more for lunch. 


I also roasted the seeds... YUM! This will be on my list of roadside recipes for sure.


And after ‘much adoe’ about everything unrelated to art-making, I spread myself out and began to draw. I came home with one drawing and an unfinished watercolour, so plans are already made for another art-venture in the near future! 


 
And another morning of mouth-watering goodness; hot porridge and muesli; this time with chunks of orange and juice...

 
... and a generous drizzle of honey.. WOW. Highly recommended.

















Time to go home and draw up a plan for the next weekend away...


















Now, in testing my skills on keeping my blog up-to-date, this month I had almost failed the test. I assure those of you who have been on my case about this *cough Arjuna and Melody cough* can now withdraw your disappointment and get busy reading; for inspiration is not yet failing me, and I do have a lot to write about. And paint about.

And in concluding this blog I share with you the final drawing which is now in Larissa's loving hands.
Happy Birthday xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment