Thursday 21 February 2013

On the grind for 2013



October 2012 saw our Open Studios as part of the BARI Festival, and a rearranging of studio spaces as our fellow artist Anthony Walker left for his new job as Indigenous Arts Development Officer at Arts Northern Rivers. I’m very honoured to have one of his pieces at home now, in exchange for one of my more experimental works. Visit his website and Facebook page to view more of his beautiful works.

Bundjalung Bush Grape by Anthony Walker

I’m also very lucky that Anthony offered me his studio space at Norman Park Studios [thanks Anthony], and I couldn’t have asked for a better space to work in. I’m really getting things rolling and the paint is hitting the canvas now more than ever. I have been busy finishing commissions over Christmas and have now finished the first for 2013.


So I have been a busy bee in my studio. Lots of coffee and loud music to lose myself in my work.








X SHOW @ JUGGLERS 2012

In November I was invited by artist and curator Edward Niznik, to show my work in the Jugglers X Show alongside other Jugglers’ resident artists. There was a nice turnout on opening night and it was great to see everyone’s work up. See my previous blog entry for the current line-up of Jugglers’ Artists’-in-Residence whose work was on show.


Fresh Look  2012
Acrylic and Oil on Canvas 600 x 2000mm (diptych)
This work was on display at the Fifth Battery Coffee Roasters on Warry Street, Fortitude Valley for a couple of weeks, and finally was sold privately.


UAB SHOW @ JUGGLERS 2012


(my works are the series of 6 on the far right. Please visit UAB site to view others' works)
In December, myself and 45 or so other Urban Art Bingers of 2012 showcased our efforts for the year at Jugglers Art Space on Brunswick Street in Fortitude Valley. It was really a great experience to assist Emily Fong and Joannah Underhill in hanging the works over the three days prior to the event; a nice close to the year and a great opportunity to celebrate the creative experiences of fellow Bingers. Visit the Urban Art Binge blog to see more images of the works at the UAB show December 2012.

It is really rewarding to see the progress of those attending the Urban Art Binge workshops, who overcome barriers in their sketching and observation, in their creative expression. A group ready and willing to put their creativity into practice, from such different backgrounds; the hobby artist, the practising artist, the architect who wishes to explore a freedom in her linework, the interior designer, or the engineer, and those who are stepping into completely unfamiliar territory. The drawings that I see coming out of every binging session often inspire a sense of excitement in me, and so I have developed a greater respect for the skill of drawing and through the intensive sketching sessions on Saturdays, it has become something that I really enjoy and put time aside to practise; whether I feel like it or not. Sometimes the best work comes from frustration or a strong emotion...

The sketches below are from my UAB sketchbook 2012 (210 x 150mm):










In blind drawing the lines created by intense observation of a subject rather than the paper we are drawing on, are uninhibited by what we think something looks like, and this is key to overcoming many barriers in drawing. I see parallels to this in every day happenings.

A big thank you to Emily, Joannah and all those who have shared their creative journey with me. I do not make it known often enough how good it is to be able to connect with others on a level that inspires my creative genius.

COMMISSIONS

In my last blog entry I mentioned that I’d been commissioned to finish a couple of my works-in-progress during BARI. I’ve finished them both now, as you can see below...

Vanitas 2012 Graphite A4
Vanitas 2012 Oil on board 395 x 300mm

Mia 2012 Pen A4

A new year with new opportunities. I am expecting to have work ready for show early March (place to be confirmed), May and November at Jugglers Art Space and I will be available to take on more commissioned work depending on size and complexity of work requested.

No comments:

Post a Comment